Our mission as the NYS Distance Learning Consortium is to provide opportunities, services, and professional development related to distance learning and e-learning. Using 21st century learning technologies and solutions, we enrich student learning by enhancing and expanding the traditional role of education through virtual environments.
In support of the educational community in the 21st century, the New York State Distance Learning Consortium intends:
- To assist districts in providing access to quality technological resources for all faculty, staff and students.
- To research, access, and share state-of-the-art technology to effectively and efficiently adapt to rapid advancements in technology.
- To foster creativity and critical thinking through global connections by providing the medium to connect with ease.
- To expand educational opportunities to students through videoconference real time courses, college level courses, and online learning opportunities.
- To be nationally recognized as leaders in educational technology resources to improve teaching and learning.
- To share courses, collaborative projects, information, and best practices throughout the NYS consortium to help provide memorable educational experiences.
- To develop partnerships and collaborative efforts with other organizations (Educational Media Technology Association (EMTA), Model Schools, NYSED, etc.) to improve technological opportunities.
What is Distance Learning?
"Distance learning” has come to mean far more than simply sharing information across a geographic distance. With many definitions of distance learning such as e-learning (computer-based online learning), video based (interactive videoconferencing), and voice based (Webinar), distance learning helps bridge the gap in educational opportunities and enhances educational learning experiences for students, teachers, and communities.
What are the Benefits of Distance Learning?
Distance learning enables districts to offer courses to their students that they might not otherwise have access to. It provides flexibility in scheduling, expands course offerings, and enables students to learn and operate in a setting that is comfortable to them. Students are able to take college level courses without leaving their building. Distance learning enhances collaboration and creativity while encouraging differentiated instruction. Students can be exposed to experts around the globe, breaking down geographic barriers in education and bringing communities together.